It's Fall! Time to test your furnace.
Colder temperatures are forecasted for our region soon, and we would like to recommend testing your furnace to make sure everything is functioning as expected. To test your system, follow these seven steps:
- Set your thermostat to the MANUAL position
- Set the fan switch on the thermostat to the AUTO position
- Switch the thermostat to HEAT
- Raise the temperature setting to at least 10º warmer than the current room temperature (example: set for 88º if the current temperature is 78º)
- Wait up to 2 - 3 minutes for the furnace blower (fan) in the attic to turn on
- Let the furnace run for 20 - 30 minutes, checking the vents/registers in your home for warm air
- After testing, reset the thermostat to your preferred settings
NOTE: Sometimes, air in the gas line to the furnace needs to be purged before the system will heat. If you are still not getting warm air from the vents after following steps 1 through 6, wait a few moments and try the process again.
Don’t be alarmed by a burning smell or a little smoke from the registers when you use the furnace for the first time each season. This is normal and should dissipate within the first 30 minutes of use.
If you are a JMC Homeowner, please let us know at jmchomes.com/customer-care if your furnace fails to heat, or if you have other questions.